Sunday, February 2, 2014

I, Frankenstein Is Excatly What you Think It Is

Are you looking for a movie that has gargoyles and demons beating on each other? Or something with a lot of action with a very simple story? Or something just to scratch that monster itch, then I, Frankenstein is your movie. I'm sure you have heard by now that I, Frankenstein hasn't been getting good reviews and isn't a big step forwards for the genre itself. But it is fun to watch things hit other things. There is also something very interesting about throwing in Frankenstein, or rather Adam played by Aaron Eckhart into the mix. I, Frankenstein is another re-hash of the coming Apocalypse story of hell verses heaven and saving humanity and such. In a way, the whole ridiculousness of the whole plot is what makes it interesting. In short, don't walk into I, Frankenstein with too many expectations.

I, Frankenstein stars off reminding the audience about the original story of Frankenstein and how Victor Frankenstein created his monster. You know the story, Victor tries to kill creature, creature kills wife, Victor chases after creature and dies. This where things take off in a different direction as the creature is about to bury Victor in his grave, he is attacked by some demons who are trying to capture him when gargoyles come to his rescue. They take him back to their HQ, where their leader determines that "Adam" is not a danger to them and gives him the name "Adam". Adam refuses to stay, but accepts weapons from them. Adam spends the next 200 years hunted by demons and Adam returns to take the fight back to their leader. Angered with Adam's reappearance, the gargoyles bring him back to their HQ. Elsewhere, the demons get word of Adam's return and make plans to grab him for their own plans. Which includes using scientist, Terra (Yvonne Strahovski) to look into corpse animation. The war is about to get messy.

So there is very little about I, Frankenstein that is notable and positive for the film, but it is a good idea to lay them down and look at it. First and foremost, I, Frankenstein is basically a movie about a monster war that is centered around Adam. So why gargoyles? It would be a bit cliche to have angels and demons battle it out and also hasn't it been done before? I have to admit the gargoyles were actually quite cool and the design of them were fantastic. Their outfits weren't silly but clearly stating who they were. Demons were meh, so I really don't care about them much. Was pretty much comparing them to Supernatural's demons. I am very grateful though that I, Frankenstein didn't invest in a silly romance story between Terra and Adam. They basically just had eye contact and she being like, "hes a human being guys". Now about the emotionless of Adam, I would like to point out that he has been living on rage for the last few years.

Now let's lay down what basically sucked about I, Frankenstein. It was nothing ground breaking and it doesn't have much that stands out. The demons were just weird and the war between the two factions made little sense. I didn't care about the other characters either other than Adam himself. In fact the whole principle of modern day medicine making living corpses was a bit not sane. Also Adam, couldn't possibly walk around in the open like that without people freaking out. In fact, I, Frankenstein gave us little science about it other than electricity makes things live, and that magical electrical tube. A way to describe I, Frankenstein is like it's a badly made horror movie. But it's not a horror movie. Once again, don't expect much from the story itself, just watch for the action. Watch out though for some cheesy one liners as well.

Despite all the odds, I did enjoy I, Frankenstein. If you are a fan of Underworld, you might like I, Frankenstein. It is after all made by the same director. I know I have said this over and over again, but please remember that you come to the movie for action, and disregard the story. I, Frankenstein is not the strongest movie, but it's a great time waster. Like one of those movies you catch on tv on the weekend or in the evening. Don't see it if you want something with more backstory and meaning cause this ain't one of those movies. Our rating for I, Frankenstein:
The trailer for I, Frankenstein below:

Will you give I, Frankenstein a chance? What is the next battle you want to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment