Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Oz The Great And Powerful: Teaching The Kiddies How To Be Yourself

When you hear Oz the Great and Powerful what exactly comes to mind? For me, it wasn't on my to do list and didn't really drive me to want to go out and see it. After having not been to a movie in a while, I decided that Oz the Great and Powerful was one of the better movies in threaders. I can say now that after watching Oz the Great and Powerful, that it very artistic as it used the landscapes and colouring to help the story along. Since I wasn't very up to date with the information on this movie, I found that some of the twists were much more enjoyable for me to see. Although fans of the original movie would still enjoy it as well. In short though, Oz the Great and Powerful was really the journey of a man realizing his true potential and putting it to good use. Oh, and saving the world of Oz.

Oz the Great and Powerful starts off in old movie format, and I'm talking square picture in black and white. Obviously symbolizing our boring old world. Anyways we are taken to the circus where Oz is making a living as a magician and conning another girl to be his accomplice in his show. These scenes are basically setting up our main character's personality of being self-centered, greedy, and a need for greatness. So when a show goes bad, and being chased by a strong man, Oz is forced to escape and is sucked into a tornado. Oz soon finds himself in the world of Oz, and greeted by Theodora, a witch. Thinking that Oz is the wizard, Theodora guides Oz to the Emerald City to show him "his" kingdom. Excited at the possibility of being a king and having all that gold, Oz is shocked to hear that in order to be king, he needs to kill the wicked witch. Oz sets out on his journey and gets more than he expected.

Now I did enjoy Oz the Great and Powerful more than I thought I would. As I mentioned above, I really liked how the film made use of the visual to tell the story and difference in setting. With black and white made our world seem like it was dull, and into Oz, it was beautiful and exciting. Like it was where we were meant, and wanted to be. The world of Oz was differently a treat to the eyes, and it doesn't matter if you watch it in 2D or 3D. Although it would look pretty cool in 3D. The interactions between Oz and his merry little traveling band was very entertaining as well. And I'm not talking about cheesy one liners here. These interactions also really shows Oz's growth throughout the series as he becomes a better person. In addition to realizing he always had it inside him to become someone great. It was also cool seeing the world of Oz becoming into what we know from Wizard of Oz. Who doesn't like a good origins story?

Now Oz the Great and the Powerful was not prefect as I felt my attention move from the film. First and foremost, I felt that Oz the Great and Powerful was a bit longer than it needed to be. I really don't like how the movie industry has nowadays set this standard that films have to be around 2 hours. You can still tell a really good story in an hour and a half. With Oz the Great and Powerful, it felt like some scenes were dragged out and filling in space. Now with that in mind, the basic plot of Oz the Great and Powerful was a bit predictable and simple. There were some good twists here and there, that was probably because I didn't research the movie like I normally do. Anyways, you could still guess what was going to happen next.

Fans of the world of Wizard of Oz, you will enjoy Oz the Great and Powerful as it adds to the already established universe. It is also a real treat to the artistic eye. Stripped down, Oz the Great and the Powerful is a coming of age story as Oz becomes the wizard. Meaning, Oz the Great and the Powerful is a film for the whole family, but don't bring children who scare easily. Our rating for this movie is:
Watch the trailer below:

No comments:

Post a Comment